Error Message A615 - This Transaction Exceeds the Unobligated Funds for This Budget for Budget structure 90 level 3 when there is more than one funding priority for a funding profile
Error Message A615, in this scenario, is caused by the inconsistency between budget structures 39 and 90 in calculating remaining budget. Budget structure 39 is used to direct how funds flow when multiple funding priorities are included in a funding profile, and it uses Unexpended Cash (Current Budget – Cash Expenses) to direct where the next transaction to be posted; while budget structure 90 uses Unobligated Budget (Current Budget – Encumbered – Accrued expenses – Cash expenses) to trigger the budget error (A615) when the budget control is turned on. As a result, the remaining budget calculated for two budget structures are different when the encumbrance or accrued expense is not zero. Typically there is more cash remaining for structure 39 than the total budget remaining for structure 90. This would not be a significant issue if the BQ90LV3 line contains several programs in BQ39LV2, but becomes more vital when structures 39 and 90 are in a 1-to-1 relationship.
Since CORE does not allow an override of budget errors for procurement documents, such as a PO or CT, but does allow an override of the same errors for payment documents, you will want to do the following to correct the error:
- Temporarily reduce the budget of structure 39 to match total cash expenses, so that unexpended cash = 0 for the funding priority with this issue.
- Process the PO, where the new encumbrance is going to be posted to the next funding priority with available cash.
- Reverse the budget transaction processed in step 1 to put the budget status back to what it was before, so that the payments can be posted to this priority by using a level 2 override of the budget error A615.
Here is an example:
Funding Profile A has two funding priorities 10 and 20 using Appr Units X and Y respectively. The total Budget for Priority 10 in structure 39 is the same as that for Appr X in structure 90 and the current budget status is:
When a PO of $6,000 is processed, all $6,000 is posted to priority 10 by following the funding profile setup in structure 39 because there is still $8,000 cash remaining. On the other hand, the structure 90 for Appr X will be overspent with this posting because $6,000 is more than the unobligated budget of $3,000. As a result, the PO cannot be processed.
In this scenario, you will want to:
- Reduce the budget for priority 10 by $8,000 in BGPDR, so that the available cash becomes $0 for priority 10.
- Process the PO, so all $6,000 is posted to priority 20.
- Reverse the BGPDR to add $8,000 budget back to priority 10.
When payments are made towards the encumbrance, either the existing $5,000 in priority 10 or the new $6,000 in priority 20, the encumbrance will be liquidated from the encumbered priority and expenses will be posted to priority 10 until all remaining $8,000 cash is depleted.
If you still have questions in processing your documents, please contact email@example.com for further assistance.