I approved a GAX payment for a vendor that has been placed on hold. There is a note on the vendor record that is instructing me to use a different vendor number. Can I go in and modify the VC number in order for the payment to generate?

You can modify the vendor number if the GAX has been rejected, however, once the GAX is final, you will not be able to modify the vendor number.